Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Can I get a "HOLLA" for the herbs!

First and foremost I have to say I cannot take any credit for the knowledge I have about this topic. That all belongs to one of my friends who taught me most of what I know about herbs.
We try our hardest not to use any unnecessary meds on the kids when they are sick so my first "go to" is my herbs. I have a ridiculous stoke pile of them for pretty much any ailment one might have. Unfortunately LD came down with a bit of the tummy bug yesterday and the day before so I made up a batch of my "tummy tamer tea". We drink our herb infusions everyday but this one is great for upset tummy or if you ate to much, basically anything you would take Pepto for you can use this in it's place.

First I start with some really good high quality herbs. I use three different places to buy mine, The Bulk Herb Store, Mountain Rose Herbs, and if you live near Vegas you can also check out Herbally Grounded. The herbs I use for this specific infusion are Chamomile, Peppermint, Lemon balm and I also use a couple of slices of fresh ginger.

This is the Chamomile, great for calming down and settling down an upset tummy.

Lemon balm good for flus, colds, fever, upset tummy and many other ailments.

Next I add a couple of spoonfuls of each herb and a couple of slices of ginger. (you can play with the amounts to get the taste you like.) I use a quart jar because it seems to hold the right amount to give us all some tea.

Now add boiling water and mix it up a bit and place a lid on the jar. You can leave it like this anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

You can see the ginger floatin around in there.

After it has sat for a while I strain it into a new quart mason jar.

And of course I add some fresh honey. And voila!!  I give this to the kids or drink myself. It always does the trick for me when my stomach is a bit strange feeling. It also works well to stop the kids from throwing up when they are not feelin so hot.

I could go on forever about how much I love herbs. There is an herb for every ailment and I swear by them. I look forward to my nightly cup of tea! Until tomorrow...


2 comments:

  1. Holla! Do you sell your herbs? The last dude I bought from ran into some problems with the law.

    -Smokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chamomile looks so bright and sunny. Mmmm...I can almost smell it! It's so fun to see you run with this knowledge and how it helps your family. Herbs are truly God's gift to us. Now...where's my mint tea...I think I need a cup!

    ReplyDelete