Monday, June 20, 2011

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....


The Amish have a saying, "an ounce of  prevention is worth a pound of cure." I love this saying but I normally don't adhere to it. I usually find myself fixing things after they have already been broken so since I am starting with a clean slate here I decided to do things right.
Our garden is just a hair under 1/4 acre and with all the other things going on during the move I wasn't able to plant in time for a good growing season. Another reason I haven't planted yet is because I have been putting of the  tedious task of fencing in the entire 1/4 acre to keep out the cute but annoying little bunnies. We have about 26 bunnies running around the farm(the old owner just let his pet rabbits go when he moved and now they have had babies...a LOT of babies!) and I don't mind em' when I don't have veggies for them to munch on. But bunnies and gardens don't mix. So after much delay I finally took on the fencing task today. I have to say I am VERY sorry I did! Ha ha ha.I first put up all the paneling around the areas that had no fencing at all. then I had to strip all the chicken wire from the fencing that the old owner had put up (We have done every single project at this house for free so far. We have done all of our landscaping with all the stuff that we have found around the property, up until now we have done most things with logs from dead trees but now I have been able to utilize all the weird extra fencing this guy put up.)  After I striped the wire from the old fencing I had to dig a trench along the whole fence line so my chicken wire could go a little underground in case we get any diggers! 


Here is the chicken wire after I buried it.

LD was helping me cut wire from one of the fence's ....

This is half of my garden the other half is behind the camera. We burned that big pile of wood after this picture was taken so now I have a lot more to till. SIGH.... ha ha ha

I decided to do a very small area of test garden to see how certain things would do out here. First I tested my soil to see what I was workin with. They call the dirt out here "poof dirt" it is the weirdest soil I have ever seen. I discovered I am workin with something similar to clay as far as nutrients go. Note the AWESOME tan line. LOL!

Adding compost, Piper was "helping" me. I think I had some in my eye. ha ha ha

Adding some seed to a test area.

So we will see how well my fence does at keeping out the critters and how well different veggies do in our garden. I always do REALLY well growing watermelon so hopefully out here it does just as well. If so half the garden will be for watermelon so we can sell it at farmers market next year. So here's to good luck with my test veggies and fence!

No comments:

Post a Comment